Friday, March 02, 2007

Snorkeling and Whale Watching


Monday the 19th. Today was our anniversary. We got up early (although the first 3 days I was waking up at 5:00-5:30 everyday and couldn't get back to sleep b/c my body was thinking it was 10:30-11:00 in Michigan) and had to be to the wharf by 7 a.m. We took a 4 Winds tour to Molokini Crater snorkeling. This turned out to be great b/c we saw so many whales on the way to the crater to snorkel.


As you can see we could've almost touched the humpback in the second picture. It swam right under out boat and surfaced right next to us! It was beautiful. The reason we saw so many whales is that the Humpback whales leave Alaska and swim to Hawaii in the winter to give birth. They stay in Hawaii for the winter before returning to Alaska. I think I heard or read that the babies gain like 100 lbs. a day and the mothers dont eat at all. They live off their fat all winter. ( I was wondering if that would work for me????) Anyway, the whales (which I was least exctited about) were amazing!.
Two Whales Surfaced Here
This is the part of the crater we snorkeled in. The snorkeling was good and fun but we found some better spots on our own later in the trip w/Ringgers. Thank goodness Janelle had her coveted Maui Revealed, or we would've been lost. After all the teasing we gave her, I have to say, it is a GREAT resource for Maui. I'd purchase my own copy if going again. If you go, buy this. The other three books that I used/studied/took with didn't even compare to the well laid out, colorful and informative book that this was.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: